Information for Speakers
Preparing for Your Presentation
AHLA suggests preparing the following materials for your presentation:
- Presentation Slides - whether presenting solo or in a group, we request all slides be put on the current AHLA PowerPoint slide template and provided to AHLA 5 business days prior to the webinar date.
- Intro Slide - list the title, topic (if applicable), date and time of webinar, and all presenters with contact information.
- Content Slides - keep slide titles short, bullets concise, and add graphics when it compliments the text. If you want to use more interactive technology like live polling, include the question and answers on one slide and let us know in advance so we can be sure to set that up as we load your slides into the learning management software.
- CLE Code Slide - once we receive your slides and review, we will add the CLE code slide to the end of the presentation.
- Closing Copyright Slide - included in the template; no changes are usually needed.
- Handouts - if you have background information, case studies, or additional substantive content you want included with the presentation, let us know and we can include handouts as separate downloads for registrants.
- Script - if needed, write out what you plan to say; practice, adjust, and repeat.
- Prepared Questions and Answers - sometimes registrants have a lot of questions and sometimes they do not. It's always a good idea to have a few questions and answers prepared to help the audience transition into the interaction portion of the webinar.
What to Expect the Day of the Presentation
The speaker line will open 30 minutes prior to the webinar for a pre-call. Most speakers use this time to get familiar with the learning management software, run through any last minute changes, and ask any questions of AHLA staff (someone from AHLA and the learning management software vendor will be available during the pre-call). If you are worried that 30 minutes is not enough time to prep ahead of the webinar, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a dry run date/time.
Additionally, we have these tips for success based on feedback from previous speakers:
- Set all phones (landline and cell) on vibrate or do not disturb
- Place yourself on mute when you are not speaking, then un-mute to speak – every noise comes through!
- Have a glass of water handy
- Be mindful of the time and how much content still needs to be covered
- Speak clearly & with good volume into your phone
Do you have any other useful tips you want to share based on your experience? Email us at email@example.com and we'll add them to the list!
Claiming Speaker CLE Credits
In most states, speakers are eligible for extra CLE credit for presenting at an accredited distance learning webinar. Please refer to the Distance Learning Speaker CLE Chart for details regarding specific state guidelines.
If you have presented at an AHLA distance learning webinar and are seeking CLE teaching certificate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your name
- Name and date of webinar
- AHLA username (if applicable)
- State(s) you are seeking credit for and respective bar numbers
We greatly appreciate your willingness to speak on an AHLA webinar and we look forward to making your webinar a success!